- Choose the size of the pet bird cage
- Choose the cage according to the shape, the openings and the material
What type of cage should you choose for your bird ? The first criterion is obviously size, but there are others to take into account.
Parrot Cage African Grey
Choose the size of the pet bird cage
The dimensions of the cage depend on the size of the bird chosen. In all cases, the space offered by the model must allow the animal to benefit from sufficient range of motion .
If you have chosen a large bird or if you plan to have several , you opt for the largest possible cage or ideally for an aviary .
Here are some examples of recommended cage sizes:
- For a Canary , a model with dimensions 40 x 20 x 30 cm may be sufficient. On the other hand, for a couple , it is better to turn to a cage of 60 x 40 x 50 cm .
- For a Parrot , the minimum recommended dimensions are 50 x 70 x 70 cm .
- For a torque Perruches of small size , the cage must be at least 40 x 40 x 45 cm . If they are large, it will be better to move towards a cage of 150 x 50 x 60 cm at least.
Parrot Cage With Playtop
What is absolutely to be avoided in all cases are:
- The narrowness
- The overcrowding : this must, at all costs, be prevented, because it induces many problems both for the birds themselves and the person who cares. It is, indeed, difficult to properly care for a large number of animals. Just as the latter expose themselves to risks linked to hygiene and health , such as stress and the transmission of parasites, germs, bacteria, fungi and diseases.
In addition, after purchasing the cage, it is imperative to clean it thoroughly . If it is a new model , cleaning is also essential, as well as a complete rinsing in order to eliminate the residues of chemicals and detergents which could be toxic for future occupants. And if it’s a cage used must also think about disinfecting .
Subsequently, this maintenance of the cage of its accessories (feeders, drinkers, nest boxes, perches, games …) is to be done regularly to protect the health of the bird.
How to Choose Bird Cages
Choose the cage according to the shape, the openings and the material
In addition to the dimensions, the shape of the pet bird cage is also a determining criterion.
Concretely, for birds who prefer to climb to bars , we will favor cage models which are built in height . This is the case for parrots and parakeets in particular.
On the other hand, passerines are generally less likely to climb and should be able to fly and move horizontally quite frequently. For these birds, it is therefore preferable to opt for a cage of good width .
In either case, it will always be better to choose rectangular or square models , rather than more fanciful shapes which may, of course, be aesthetic, but which are not necessarily adapted to the needs of birds.
Read also: “Clean the cage of your pet bird”
Should you cover your birds cage at night?
Cover For Parrot Cage
SOURCE:Love of Pets
The openings are also to be taken into account when choosing the cage for pet birds. For parrots, it is recommended to choose doors with a complex closing system , as they are intelligent enough to unlock conventional devices. The openings must facilitate the access of the person inside the cage to grasp the bird if necessary and for handling the accessories.
On the material side, there are PVC cages , but it is better to opt for the stainless steel or aluminum models . They are easier to maintain and more resistant .
Finally, cages with removable bottom are preferred because this configuration also simplifies maintenance.
Parrot Cage And Stand
Parrot Perches, Stands, & Cage Setup Ideas