How long does a parrot live: Parrots are renowned for their fabulous ability to speak and imitate the sounds of various animals. In addition to this, they sport a beautiful plumage that is distinguished by its bright colors. For these reasons, parrots are among the most popular domestic birds among bird lovers.
These birds belong to the order Psittaciformes, in which we also find macaws and parakeets. In reality, the term parrot brings together different species that receive the same common name. Life expectancy varies from one life expectancy to another.
Characteristics of parrots
Parrots are a group of psittacine birds that are characterized by colorful plumage, hooked beaks, and prehensile tongues. They inhabit a wide variety of ecosystems ranging from jungles to mountainous pine and oak forests. Unfortunately, due to their attractive features, these birds attract human attention and therefore are often removed from their natural habitat to be bred in captivity.
Indeed, the ecological situation of parrots is far from stable and their possession has already been banned in several countries. An example of this is Mexico, where all national species are placed in a risk category: their commercialization is prohibited. Before acquiring a parrot, it is good to make sure that local legislation allows it.
Adopt a parrot
Having a parrot shouldn’t be seen as a bad thing as long as possession is legal. This means that it is necessary to verify the origin of the bird, to ensure that it is not a specimen taken from its wild habitat. Upon purchase, hatchery documents, legal authorizations, and certificates of origin for each specimen must be provided.
If you have everything you need and have made sure your pet is from a certified breeder, there should be no problem. All you have to do is take good care of your new companion and offer him an excellent life. The care provided influences the life expectancy of a pet.
What is the lifespan of a parrot?
How long does a parrot live
The life expectancy of these birds can vary greatly due to different factors. The longevity of the entire group varies between 5 and 75 years. Discover below the life expectancy of the most popular specimens:
- African grey parrot ( Psittacus erithacus ): 40-60 years.
- Blue-fronted Parrot ( Amazona aestiva ): 25-75 years.
- Eclectus (Eclectus roratus ): 30-60 years.
- Senegal parrot (Poicephalus senegalus ): over 30 years old.
- White-crowned Parrot ( Pionus senilis ): 25 years.
- Red-capped parrot (Poicephalus gulielm): 21 years old.
- Rainbow Lorikeet ( Trichoglossus haematodus ): 15-25 years.
What factors influence the life expectancy of parrots?
The number of years a parrot lives is not only determined by its species: nutrition, veterinary care, and mental health also matter a lot. If you want to make sure that your pet reaches its maximum age, the following points should be taken into account:
- The cage should be spacious. This will give him space to release his stress and exercise. Under no circumstances should a parrot be housed in an environment less than 1 meter long and high. In addition, it is necessary to let him be outside his cage for at least 2 hours a day.
- A parrot needs company. Some parrot species naturally live in groups, so keeping multiple specimens will improve their mental health and keep them more active.
- Choose where you get your pet carefully. Certified breeders follow rigorous processes to ensure parrots enjoy good health. If you acquire your specimen from a questionable place, your parrot will undoubtedly be subject to various diseases in the future.
- Provide proper nutrition. Do not forget that the diet of these birds should be as varied as possible. Don’t just use commercial pellets, also offer them grains, seeds, nuts, fruits, and vegetables. A well-balanced diet will improve their health and their immune system.
How old can a parrot reach?
The above data are only averages, so a bird can live longer if it has a good quality of life. An example is the famous “poncho” parrot who died at the age of 87. This beautiful bird participated in the Disney movie “ 102 Dalmatians ”. He lived almost as long as the average person.
Parrots are birds that involve great commitment, as they can live a very long time, even longer than humans. Therefore, if you think you can take on this responsibility for the rest of your life, then don’t hesitate. Otherwise, choose another pet, depending on your needs and possibilities.